Monday, March 1, 2010

3-1-10

Sitting here at chemo relaxing and talking with Julie. It's nice to have time to catch up and laugh about old times. She is a dear friend and always looks out for me.

Chemo is going great. The access to the port was easy and pain free...yeah....
I did receive some good/bad news today. My BRCA test came back positive so I do have the gene for hereditary breast/ovarian cancer. Which basically means I have a 75% chance of the cancer coming back in my second breast. And a 40% chance of it coming back in my ovaries. However I can have a double mastectomy and reduce the chances of it reoccurring in my left breast by 90%. With regards to my ovaries, they suggest I stay proactive with tests yearly and look more at my options when I am 40.

Now for the good news....my tumor has shrunk in size and is much softer...what that means is the chemo is working...YEAH.... My doctors seemed very please with my progress and reaction to chemo.

So all in all a good day thus far....

7 comments:

  1. Wow! That is terrific that the tumor is already shrinking!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. FABULOUS the STUPID tumor is already shrinking! So glad you had a support group for the milestone you had yesterday. Wig is very cute especially accessorized with earrings! I am fervently praying for you and Adam.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is awesome Jess that the chemo is already working. Yeah! One of my friends knows someone with the markers too. She chose to have some of her eggs frozen and then had successful invitro a few years later. Everything went fine. There is so much progress in the medical world these days. Thank you for keeping us all updates. You have a lot of people cheering for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Jess,
    Amy sent me the link to your site. I just wanted to let you know I am thinking about you and I am only in Cincy if you need anything at all. I am so excited that the chemo is working. And let me tell you, if anyone can rock a wig it is you. Keep positive. Stacey

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good news that the tumor is shrinking already! That was quick...you're going to kick this cancer's butt!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so thrilled to hear the chemo is working and the tumor is shrinking! You look great! Hope to see you again soon. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jess,
    GREAT news that the tumor is shrinking already!! Go get it, girl! I know the other news isn't what you wanted, but at least you know where you stand and, as everyone is saying, there are lots of medical options open to you. And the scarf/shaved head look? You ARE pulling it off really well! Keep it up, gorgeous niece! - Debby

    ReplyDelete