I was hoping after I left my Reconstructive Surgeon's office today, I would feel relieved that something would be easy or even simple in this whole journey, however no. Let's just say I have two options to choose from regarding surgery.
Option #1 Tissue Expansion: After breast is removed, a tissue expander(basically an implant with nothing in it) is placed under the chest muscle. Over the months saline is injected little by little through a port. AS the expander fills up, the skin and Muscle in the chest stretch out to create a pocket. Another procedure would be done to remove the expander and put the actual implant in. This would all happen over a 6 month time frame. Good thing regarding this option is, the initial surgery would only take about 2 hours and recovery time is 2 weeks.
Option #2 Diep Flap: A small incision along the bikini line is made and the necessary skin, fat,and tiny blood vessels are removed from the stomach area. The fat and skin are shaped into natural looking breasts and sewn into place. The tiny blood vessels that feed the tissue of the new breasts are matched to supplying blood vessels in your chest and reattached under a microscope. The procedure usually takes 8-10 hours and recovery time is 4-6 weeks.
There are obvious risks to both procedures and much more questions that need to be asked. Both procedures would require multiple surgeries regardless. Luckily I don't have to make a decision for awhile and will have time to do more research on both options.
I realize that I have painted a detailed description on how these procedures would work. However to me this is much easier than trying to explain in person or via phone. This blog is perfect in relaying what I would like to tell you all but probably don't get a chance to.
I will keep you all posted on what I decide to do.
Thanks for listening.....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Wow - option 2 sounds like you can get not only perfectly shaped breasts but a tummy tuck at the same time! :) I'm glad you do not have to make a decision right away so don't stress about it right now. Ask your surgeon if you can talk to others who have done the procedures so you can get their opinons and thoughts now that they have gone through it. Julie
ReplyDeleteMarie and I were thinking the same thing about option #2. :-) It's good to have options. Talk to you soon.
ReplyDeleteAt least you have options and the time to make the decision. I agree with Julie - talking to those that have been thru it and are living with the results may help in your decision. Keep us posted --- love, A. Cathy
ReplyDeleteWow sounds like alot to process along with everything else you have to think about. I would agree that trying to speak to poeple who have been through this would be helpful. i'm glad i finally got to log on here, it is a great way to keep updated. but i will for sure give you a buzz tonight or sometime tomorrow. lots of love.......gisel
ReplyDelete